Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ipsy December 2014 Review

Better late than never on this review I guess.  At least it's still December (my December Wantable review is still upcoming - sorry!).  With all my meme-madness, I just didn't find my Ipsy bag that exciting this month in comparison - even though the bag itself is my favourite thus far.

For those who don't know Ipsy, it is a monthly subscription service which sends you 5 make-up, skin care or hair care items per month in a cute make-up bag.  The products are often deluxe sample sizes but there are usually a few full-size items as well.  The cost is $10 per month with free shipping if you happen to live in the states but for those of us in Canada, add $4.95 shipping as well as exchange.  There are savings to be had if you subscribe to a longer period, though.  I paid for a year up front which worked out to $184.33 Canadian funds, or $15.36 per month.

If this review piques your interest in Ipsy, please consider using my referral link :)  I'd appreciate it!  There is a waiting list but they often offer ways to skip the line.

Here is what came in my Ipsy bag this month:


Ipsy's theme this month was "Thinking of You" and the bags included one of a few different sayings.  Mine was "You are a Brave Soul". . . I guess? Maybe they were thinking of someone else?


Beauty Without Cruelty Facial Cleanser (2oz - $2.82 value; 8.5oz costs approx. $11.99)

I have about a zillion cleansers but I do like that this one is vegan / vegetarian friendly and has an AHA complex in it.  AHAs can be used to combat acne and acne scarring (both of which I have - although less of the former than I used to) as well as signs of aging (yep, getting those too).  It's also a nice travel size which was useful on my trip a few weeks ago.  This is a nice inclusion.

Infinity Shadow / Crease Duet Crown Brush ($17.50 retail according to their website but currently selling for $6.99 plus shipping, although a minimum order of $25 is required. . . lets go with $6.99 anyway)

Whatever the price, I love this brush.  It's soft and does its job plus I love that I only needed to pack one brush on my trip.  I needed new brushes too.  More like this please, Ipsy!


Pixi by Petra Fairy Dust in Brightening Bare FULL SIZE (10 pounds on their website = $18.06 Canadian right now)

Whatever the price, I hate this product.  The colour is just a little darker than my skin tone which makes it look like a weird, slightly shimmery concealer on my eyelids.  And don't get me started on the packaging / applicator.  Okay, do get me started because this is driving me crazy.  The weird spongy-tipped applicator gets more product where I don't want it than where I do want it.  This sucks and for that value. . . it makes me a little sad.

Nyx Butter Lip Balm in Red Velvet ($4 value)

This, I like.  The texture is good and the colour is just enough - like, it makes me look like I was eating a cherry popsicle but I like it.  Sometimes I just can't do a lip stick when my lips are in rough shape.  This will live in my purse.

Tarte deluxe lights, camera, lashes 4-in-1 Mascara (0.10oz = $8.33; 0.24oz costs $20 on their website)

This is also a win.  I love a black mascara with a nice texture (not like the Avon one I got a few months ago that made my lashes fall out).  The only thing that could make this better is if it happened to be full size :)

Overall Verdict:

My math is putting this bag at an approximate value of $40.20 (although the Pixi product is almost half of that value).  I love the mascara, lip balm and brush.  I liked the cleanser a lot as well and have found it very useful in a travel size.  The bag itself is probably my favourite to date and I used it on my trip.  I don't usually assign a value to that, though, since I consider it more of a perk than a product.  I hate the Pixi "fairy dust".  I can't stress that enough.  I might throw it away - that's how much I dislike this product.  Still, for what I paid for this bag, I am still pretty happy.  

Again, please consider using my referral link if this review makes you want to try Ipsy :)

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.