Monday, December 29, 2014

Memebox #62 Tea Tree Cosmetics Review

**FYI - Memebox no longer ships to Canada.  I'll leave these reviews for posterity but any links or recommendations are sadly no longer for us :( Many of the products can be found elsewhere - check out my post on where else to shop for k-beauty products!


Memebox is a Korean Beauty Box company with a different model than most beauty boxes.  Instead of subscribing to a monthly box, they periodically release new boxes and you can purchase as many or as few as you like.  Boxes usually range from $23 - $29 plus $6.99 for shipping to Canada (shipping can take 10-20 business days so be prepared).  Express shipping is available for an extra cost or with bundles (more than one box purchased and shipping at the same time).  Memebox also offers many of the items from their boxes in their shop - a warning to Canadian shoppers, some of the shop items are for US customers only so don't get your heart set on anything until you check the tag under it!

This box is not currently available for sale, although restocks do happen from time to time.  Current boxes can be found here.

As a 30-something year old mom, I am thrilled to now be dealing with the dual challenges of adult acne and wrinkles (sarcasm, obvi).  At the time I ordered this (long, long ago - sorry), Memebox had many boxes on offer which were geared toward dry skin or aging skin.  As soon as I saw this one, I had to have it! I first became aware of the wonders of tea tree oil in gently combating acne during my first pregnancy when all of my usual products became too harsh for skin.  Seriously good stuff.


Here's the first look:  6 products - all full size! Since this isn't a Superbox (in which all products are always full-size), this is a pleasant surprise.  That said, one of them is a one-time use product and a few are pretty low value.  This box, in general, has a lower value than many Memeboxes and thus arrived to mixed reviews from many bloggers.  For me, the monetary value is less important than the value I can get out of it in terms of use.  So let's see what's in here. . .


Memebox includes these product cards which indicate what each item is, what it is valued at (sometimes these are a little inflated but since I can't get most of these products where I live, I'll cope with that) and how to use it.  I can't stress how valuable the "how to use it" aspect is since I haven't heard of many of these items before and would have no idea what to do with them!



Shara Shara Bee Tox Spot Cream 15ml ($18 value)

This cream includes bee toxin and is intended for use on blemishes to reduce redness, relieve pain, and help control excess oils.  This is the most expensive spot cream I have ever used. . . and it totally works.  I tried it on a few lingering blemishes and it cleared them up within a few days.  Way better than what I had been using, that's for sure.

DD'ell Moisture Facial Mask 03 Tea Tree 23g ($7 value)

This is the one-time use product:  a sheet mask.  I had never used a sheet mask before and just about gave my husband a heart attack when I did! It's a cottony mask with eye and mouth holes which is soaked in essence (in this case, tea tree essence).  You smooth it over your clean face and leave on for 15-20 minutes, then remove and pat in the remaining essence.  My husband thought I looked like Hannibal Lecter.  I thought it was very soothing and pleasant.  My skin definitely felt softer afterward and it didn't cause a breakout.  I don't think I would spend $7 on it but I enjoyed the experience and would happily use more, cheaper, sheet masks in the future.

Purederm Tea Tree Pore Freshner (spelling error on card?) 170ml ($24 value)

This is a toner with an interesting pump top that it took me way too long to figure out.  Korean toners tend to be less astringent and drying than those we are used to in this country so I was excited to try it out.  I started with twice a day use and found that a little too drying for my skin so I have been using it in the morning before my regular daytime Tea Tree Moisturizer (not from this box) and it's been okay.  It has a pleasant scent but it's not as great as I was hoping for.


Tosowoong Tea Tree AC-Control Soothing Lotion 100ml ($19 value)

This gentle, lightweight lotion is supposed to help with oil control and acne-prevention.  To be honest, I haven't had a chance to use this yet as I've been trying other products which excited me more.  Tosowoong is a respected brand and I'll give this a shot when I'm finished my current daytime moisturizer.

ProYou Tea Tree Oil 10ml ($24 value)

Seeing as how I purchase 50ml of this stuff for $15 at well.ca (albeit from a different brand), I'm finding this valuation a little (okay, a lot) high.  This isn't super exciting but I will use it.  I'm out of my favourite Tea Tree Oil Cleanser and I found some DIY versions online that I'm going to try.  Oil cleansers are a great first step that dissolve makeup better than most cleansers, but I always follow up with another cleanser - no reason to leave excess oil on my face.

Purederm Tea Tree Make-Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes 30ea ($7 value)

These cleansing towelettes are intended for all-over face use (including eye make-up) and have a light tea tree scent. I am not usually a fan of this type of product as I have preferred methods of make-up removal that feel less wasteful to me.  That said, I brought these on a recent trip and they were incredibly useful - especially considering our hotel was having a water issue the first day and I was not going to be washing my face with brown, rusty looking water!  I wouldn't buy them but I will use them.

Overall Verdict:

This may not be the most exciting box ever but it is full of useful products.  I love the Bee Tox - it's an awesome find for me.  The mask was fun and the toner (and lotion, when I try it) is useful.  I will find uses for the Tea Tree Oil although I do find it overvalued.  I was pleasantly surprised by the cleansing towelettes - they haven't totally changed my mind about this type of product but I am finding them useful.  Memebox valued this box at $99 but I feel that the Tea Tree Oil is worth about 1/5 of what they said (even if it's a fancy, organic brand, if I can buy it for much cheaper, it's not worth that to me) so I would probably put this closer to the $80 mark.  Considering I only paid $33.99 including shipping from Korea, I am still happy with the value of this box and the overall quality of the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.