Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ipsy March 2015 Review

Ipsy, is a monthly subscription service which sends you 5 make-up, skin care or hair care items per month packaged in a make-up bag.  The products are often deluxe sample sizes but there are usually a few full-size items as well.  The cost is $10 per month with free shipping if you happen to live in the states but for those of us in Canada, add $4.95 shipping as well as exchange.  There are savings to be had if you subscribe to a longer period, though.  I paid for a year up front which worked out to $184.33 Canadian funds, or $15.36 per month.

If this review piques your interest in Ipsy, please consider using my referral link :)  I'd appreciate it!  There is usually a waiting list but they often offer ways to skip the line.

Here is what came in my Ipsy bag this month:


Marsk Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Lucky Penny (0.04 oz sample = $0.75 value, 1.2oz costs $22.50 on their website)
Nice formula and pigmentation.  Unfortunately, this isn't the best colour for me (I know you can't see it in my terrible pic but it's, true to its name, a copper shade).  I'll give it a try or rehome it to my sister who seems to be taking all of my terrible eye shadow shades off my hands.  I've adjusted some of the info on my quiz to hopefully target better, more colourful shades for me - we'll see if it works.

Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter (FULL SIZE $18 value)
Again, nice formula and pigmentation.  On my skin tone, this almost works best as a concealer (yes, I'm that pale) but it does do a decent job lightening under-eye circles or brightening up my brown bone.  I don't tend to use highlighters that often (despite how many I've received from Ipsy) but I do like this one better than most and can get some use out of it.

NYX Butter Lipstick in Little Susie (FULL SIZE $6 value)
While this looks wildly bright, it. . . okay, it is wildly bright (for reals, the colour of the tube is the colour of the lippy).  That said, it kind of works for me in a springy kind of way.  I really like the formula and the pigmentation is good.  This seriously costs $6? I might need to pick up a few more.  I like this even more than I liked the NYX Butter Lip Balm Ipsy sent me a few months ago.  Well played, Ipsy.

Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Creme Oil (1 fl. oz. sample = $5.46, 4.2 fl. oz. costs $22.95 on their website)
I want to like this, I really do. . . but I just can't.  This is exactly the kind of styling product I like.  Even though it suggests using it when blow drying, I like smoothing a little of this type of product through dry hair for softness, smoothness and a little texture.  It does a great job smoothing down flyaways and taming frizz.  Notice how I keep saying "this type of product"? That's because this particular one is driving me insane.  I put it on my hands, rub through my hair and. . . have glitter all over my palms.  WTF? It doesn't even seem to add shine or sparkle to my hair! Just to my hands.  *sigh*

Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Anti-Aging Mattifying Lotion (0.26 oz. sample = $9.18 value, 1.7 oz. costs $60 on their website)
Again, I want to like this.  It does what it promises:  moisturizes, smooths and mattifies, providing a great base for make-up.  It also reeks to high heaven.  It contains tea tree oil which I don't usually have an issue with (and I make my own face wash with the pure oil in it so I know the smell, trust me) but behind the tea tree scent is an unpleasant herbal / medicinal / chemical kind of smell that I can't stand.  Maybe I'm spoiled with all of my excellent k-beauty finds but this is a let-down.  I'll use it, since the smell does fade away shortly after application, but I won't be sad when it's empty either.

Overall Verdict:
This month, my bag had a value of $39.39 but almost $15 of that value came from the two products I really can't see myself getting a lot of use out of.  I will force myself to use the lotion, plugging my nose if necessary and may get some use of the hair creme, as long as I have time to scrub the sparkles off my hands.  The product I am most happy with is the cheap lippy so I guess "value" is in the eye of the beholder, huh? While I could be happier with the highlighter and the eye shadow, I will use them but I wish they were more exciting.

To be honest, the shine is coming off of this sub for me.  I'll finish out the year and then that may be it for me.  There are only so many makeup bags one person can use and while I have discovered some new products I wouldn't have purchased and some new shades I'd never have tried, I have been disappointed by an equivalent number of products as well.  I think this is a great sub for those just starting out, or newbies to make-up and can't deny that it's usually a good value for a great price. We'll see what happens over the next few months.  Maybe I'll try something new when my year's up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.